The dog days of summer are the best time to enjoy fresh fruits and vegetables from your garden (or the ones from your CSA box)!
In fact, I picked a monster cucumber from my own little backyard garden to make this cucumber noodle salad, which combines a variety of classic Asian flavors – namely sesame, garlic, cilantro, lime, and chili peppers – to create a perfectly cool and crunchy accompaniment for any lean protein!
The extra-light dressing on this “noodle” salad packs an astounding amount of flavor, while the cucumber noodles provide a textural adventure for your mouth.
To make the noodles, just run your cucumber through a spiralizer (a.k.a. the best kitchen gadget on the face of the planet!), or use a julienne peeler. I like using my spiralizer to make my veggie noodles because it’s easier and FUN (and never gets old), but also because I can choose the size of my noodles. For this dish, I chose the larger of the two noodle blades.
Beware: the cucumbers leak a LOT of moisture while being noodle-ized! Be prepared and have a dish towel ready, so that your table or counter doesn’t receive the same soaking that mine did. ;)
To make the dressing, just whisk all the ingredients together in a small bowl. Then pour it over your cucumber noodles, toss, and eat!
I made this for myself as a really light, standalone lunch salad, which was delicious in my opinion… but I found it was so light, that it would also work really well (possibly better) as a side dish for a piece of grilled chicken, fish, or possibly even sushi!
Share your thoughts… have you ever had cucumber noodles before?
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ tbsp sesame oil
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- Juice of ¼ fresh lime (about ½ tbsp)
- ½ tsp honey
- ¼ tsp chili pepper hot sauce
- 2 to 3 cilantro leaves, chopped
- ⅓ of a large cucumber (or ½ of a small one) – if you don’t like the seeds, get the English variety!
- Sprinkling of white and/or black sesame seeds
- To make the dressing, whisk together the apple cider vinegar, sesame oil, garlic, lime juice, honey, chili sauce, and chopped cilantro in a small bowl.
- Use a spiralizer (or julienne peeler) to make noodles out of the cucumber. Skin on or off is up to you!
- Top the noodles with the dressing, and toss to coat.
- Garnish with a sprinkling of white and/or black sesame seeds.
- Serve immediately!
© Cook Like a Cavewoman! All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe.